Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Attic Windows

I don’t have any new pics to post so you’ll just get the news. We are putting a window in our attic. Caleb and Levi have a cool bedroom up there. It’s by far the biggest bedroom in the house. Ryan and I would have put our room up there but the doorway and stairway are to narrow for a queen size bed to fit up. Two years ago when we moved into this house, the attic had not been used as living space recently. Many missionaries ago had put in a ceiling and built a wardrobe up there. The wardrobe had to go up in pieces and be put together up in the attic and will never come down again. Someone else had put mosquito net on the two lever windows. But the windows are way over our heads and only let light and air in. You can’t see out them, they are so high, and I haven’t attempted to hang curtains around them.

When we moved in we repainted the ceiling and walls white. And hit a yearly sale at Tile and Carpet and managed to carpet the attic for $150. It’s gray patterned carpet with no pad underneath but sure added nicely to the attic. Also at that time we had a new railing installed around the stairway. We now have 3 beds with similar African quilts on them, one for each of the boys. And two twin futon chairs for friends. And legos, train sets, and blocks. We hung a wall hanging up and two shelves with blocks that spell Caleb, Levi and Seth. It’s really a nice bedroom.

This month we are adding a window. It’s 40 inch by 40 inch. And it adds so much to the room. It’s nice to be able to see out. We had to have it specially made with security bars and a fire escape easy access. So it’s a bit cumbersome. They busted the hole yesterday and today they are cementing the new window in and placing the glass panes. Friday, three girl friends and I are going down town curtain shopping.

I am also getting a new shower curtain and window curtain for my bathroom. And a new curtain for Ryan’s bathroom. He is going to use my plain off white shower curtain but we are going to put a border on the top and bottom of whatever material I find for his window curtain. I have never had a kitchen curtain so might look for that too. My kitchen rugs are 7 years old and soooo faded I am not sure what their original color even was. So could look for that. Just excited to go shopping with girlfriends. Going downtown can be intimidating. One of the ladies is getting a driver so as we shop we can place our purchases in the car and all will be safe. He also knows his way around and can drive and park a whole lot easier than I can.

My house is so dusty with all the construction that Saturday is cleaning day. Both Wanza and Joyce are coming to help put the attic back together. Ryan and I carried everything out of the attic except the beds and mattresses. Than we rolled back the carpet as much as we could. Ryan borrowed tarps and we covered everything. But the dust has slowly seeped throughout the house. I figure while we are cleaning I might as well do some deep cleaning. So am going to have Titus, our outside worker clean carpets. He’s not Stanley Steamer but can maybe get some of the spots out. Also want all my wood furniture wiped off of fingerprints. Want to take beds apart and wash everything, turn mattresses, wash curtains. Wash two wicker bathroom cupboards. Resort everything in the cupboards. You know Oma is coming and I just want to get it done so we can relax and enjoy a clean house.

We had a huge garage sale in June which emptied out my cupboards but I haven’t utilized the space very well. I need to make more stuff easier access for the boys so they can be more independent. They can get their own cereal, milk, and spoon in the morning but they can’t reach the bowls. The Play dough toys are in a bad spot. Their clothes cupboards need some major sorting. All three have out grown stuff since the last time I sorted stuff in March when we first came. They also always pick the same favorite shirts and trousers.

Anyhow, that’s me. I am at the hangar uploading pics to Snapfish which takes forever to do just 10 pics at a time. But I want to order them so OMA can bring them! That's why I have been rambling!

2 comments:

Life in the 'Burbs said...

I loved all the pics from your previous posts, forgot to comment on those :o) Anyway, the bedroom for the boys sounds exciting. Please send pics of that, and all your other decorations when you are done with it all. Have fun shopping!
SN

diane said...

I want to go fabric shopping with you! I want to sew with you! I can't wait to see the bedroom...please take pics!

I hear you on deep cleaning the house when it's already torn apart. That's the way to do it!