Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Monkeynastics

Every Monday Caleb and Levi attend monkeynastics. It’s a South Africa based program and I am using it to replace the home schooling PE program I am supposed to be doing with Caleb. I’m not a PE kind of person and they have a lot more fun at monkeynastics than they would have with me!

Levi’s class is for 2-3 year olds from 11:00 to 11:30 am and Caleb is 4-6 year olds from 11:30 to 12:00 am. It’s at another compound 2 blocks from our house.

They love it. They do something different each week and are also learning how to stand in line, wait their turns, pay attention to directions, and not chatter all the time. As I watch them, the program is a lot about coordination and balance. Throwing balls at a target and catching it as it bounces back at them, walking on a short balance beam, locking their elbows to hold their weight on parallel bars.

Levi can be quick to say I can’t do it. But his class size is small enough that the instructor takes time with him until he succeeds. Than we cheer, his confidence is bolstered, and this past Monday, he didn’t try to give up at all!

Caleb asks almost daily, is today monkeynastics day. He’s slowly learning the days of the week. They get special t-shirts to wear and at the end of the term, they each get a medal. I get to watch my kids have fun and talk to other moms I don’t get to see very often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun for your little monkeys! I saw some of Michelle's photos of her little monkey too. Thinking about you and praying for you often. Saw Pearle at Women of Faith this last weekend, and Goossens are dropping off Naomi tomorrow for Pearle to pick up later in the day. Sometimes Africa seems like a lifetime ago, but then an opportunity to touch base with friends comes up - and I realize how much Africa became a part of me and how much I miss it sometimes. Greet Ryan and the kids as well as the rest of the missionary "family" there. Luv ya! Fairly recent photos at www.xanga.com/lsmoll.