Friday, July 18, 2008

Baby Steps Part 2

Well it's been 8 weeks now that our Kenyan Home Study was sent to the the Carolina Adoption agency. We haven't heard anything. I have called my social worker here a few times and continue to be reassured that they will contact both us and the social worker when it is completed or if they need more info. My trust is low. My experience is that unless I ask, nothing is getting done. So I keep asking.

We met with our lawyer a couple of weeks ago. He was encouraging. He affirmed that residents such as ourselves, have a longer process and more waiting. Actually the process is that same for parents who come to Kenya specifically to adopt. But since they have come to live here only until the adoption is complete, it seems they are given priority. Our lawyer has been bugging our social worker as well to get our stuff done and not have an attitude that we must not be in a hurry cause we live here.

He gave us the paperwork (rough draft) of documents he is ready to file and get our first court date. Exciting, but full of typos. I corrected them and Ryan turned them back into the lawyer. He is also bugging New Life Home for one last document he needs for Chloe. A document they had a year ago but not now. I am glad he is bugging them and not just me.

All in all, its been an encouraging month. I think I'll call the Social Worker again, would you like her number!

Disclaimer: I really do like my social worker, I think she has too much work on her plate.

2 comments:

diane said...

Good for you for being persistent!

DrsMyhre said...

Dear Williams family . . . I was googling Sunrise Acres in Eldama Ravine and found your blog. We are missionaries in Uganda and want to stay there on the way to take our son to RVA. Do you have their contact info? Email me at drsmyhre@yahoo.com. By the way your family is darling, and I hope your adoption goes through.
Jennifer