Friday, May 30, 2008

Levi is doing great!

We arrived at same day surgery at 7 am. He was in surgery by 830 am. Back in his room at 910 am. He dosed for awhile than watched pink panther on tv. By 1030 he was asking when we could go home.

The surgeon did a good job of reassuring Levi and making friends with Levi before surgery and checking on us after. The anesthetist put a mask on Levi with the first dose of anesthesia so Levi was sleeping before she put the IV in. He got a shot of antibiotic and 2 different pain meds while he was out during surgery. So when he got back to our room, he had no idea he had got shots. That was what he was most worried about. “Mom, am I going to get shots today?” So that helped. As he woke up, he told me that they hadn’t made him sleep long or hard enough. I asked him what he remembered, nothing except getting the mask on. He decided to take his own IV out, no big deal. I had asked the nurse if he could have it out and she said yes. Before she got in the room, he had started pealing the tape off and lickety split, it was out!

The nurses where great. And instead of putting us in the same day ward, we had a private room with our own tv and bathroom. They brought me coffee and Levi had warm milk and a roll after surgery. When it was time for Levi to go to surgery, the nurse brought adult size flip flops for him to walk to surgery in. Than she decided that was silly and carried him. After surgery they didn’t bring him back right away because he was too sleepy to tell them his name. When he did come back, she had him all wrapped up in a warm blanket and carried him into the room. Got him all tucked in and he fell sound asleep. I was impressed with how often they check on us.

I am mostly impressed with my son. No crying, or whining. When she carried him to surgery, he looked over her shoulder, waved at me with a big smile and said Bye mom! I think getting there early helped him get comfortable. Everyone took their time and talked to him, shook his hand and introduced themselves to him.

I managed to keep him quiet til 1200 noon and we were home by 1230. He thought he could play but his nurse mother decided differently and he took a 2 hour nap. Than he thought he could ride his bike to the duka. I think the anesthesia and stress of the day came to a head when I refused to let him go on his bike. He had a good cry. He did get to play computer games until dinner.

He has a little bandage on his tummy, and as long as he takes his ibuprofen he’s been comfortable. Tomorrow I think he might feel more like himself emotionally but he could be more tender as all the pain meds during surgery wear off.

Anyhow I am glad it’s done and he is ok. Thanks for praying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a brave lil punkin! And he took out his own IV?! Tell him Auntie Lu is such a wimp, she couldn't even watch when they took out mine! (I even had trouble being in the same room when they took out my kids' IV's during their various surgeries and accidents!) Glad you're okay, Levi. You too Mom!
Lu